bookwormdreams

Bookworm Dreams

Hi, my name is Dragana, and I’m a book-o-holic. My goal in life is to read all the speculative fiction novels in the world. (or at least try)  :)

You can also find me on: Bookworm Dreams Blog

Wacky travel guide through Hell

The Reluctant Reaper - Gina X. Grant

Kirsty d’Arc's life just went from bad to worse. She was just trying to save her boss and friend Conrad from some creep in a black Snuggie who threatened him with some kind of laser scythe and the next thing she knows Kirsty is having out of the body experience. They say: go toward the light, but floating through the electric lamps on the ceiling didn't help. What is Kirsty going to do? And why does it seems that the only person who can help her is the guy who 'murdered' her?

Narrated by our heroine Kirsty, story of The Reluctant Reaper quickly leaves the mortal plain and goes straight to hell, literally. We get to meet a lot of mythical characters in person, and boy the legends don't do them justice. For example nobody mentioned Char's aka. Charon's sense of fashion. If you are newbie to the mythology you might have hard time making the connections but for more experienced fantasy fans I think there will be no problems recognising the people Kirsty meets. Nothing will be as you expected. Spiced up with quirky humor and puns generously sprinkled in Kirsty's comments, Hell sure turns out to be one wacky place.

Quote The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X. Grant

The Reluctant Reaper is mostly one big travel guide through Hell, since we follow Kirsty as she gets to know it's inhabitants and how the system works down there. Also there will be some harsh (and to me obvious) surprises revealed from Kirsty's life and how many karma points she earned.

There will be little time left for something else, although sexy grim reaper Dante who accidentally scythed Kirsty soul is never far from her mind. The attraction between them has a little bit insta-lust feel to it, I would have loved if romance progressed more slowly. But at least it was good for Kirsty:

"The Earth moved. So did Hell. And possibly some of the furniture. In fact, the sex was so good that even the neighbours had a cigarette!"

In The End...

The Reluctant Reaper is urban fantasy novel that will give a tour through wacky and original vision of hell invented by Gina X. Grant. If you would like to meet demons and various mythological characters in new light and you liked humor in Charley Davidson series, then you might also enjoy new urban fantasy series The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X. Grant.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review.

Source: http://bookwormdream.blogspot.com/2013/06/book-review-reluctant-reaper-by-gina-x.html