bookwormdreams

Bookworm Dreams

Hi, my name is Dragana, and I’m a book-o-holic. My goal in life is to read all the speculative fiction novels in the world. (or at least try)  :)

You can also find me on: Bookworm Dreams Blog

A treat for both seasoned veterans and newbies to the military fantasy genre

The Thousand Names - Django Wexler

The Thousand Names is one of the books I was eagerly awaiting in 2013. I have never read anything written by Django Wexler before but awesome cover, genre and the fact that heroine, Winter Ihernglass, is disguised as a man, promised that The Thousand Names will be a book I will thoroughly enjoy. And luckily for me, the promise was kept.

The Thousand Names turned out to be something I did not expect. A military fantasy epic. I thought The Thousand Names will be much lighter and less serious in tone. The theme of female main character enlisted in military reminded me of Mulan, so I expected that focus will be on her personal drama and reasons why she is in that particular situation. Although these topics are briefly explained the focus of The Thousand Names is war.

But somehow as marches and battles alternated and the stakes got higher, I found myself unexpectedly enjoying The Thousand NamesDjango Wexler does not overwhelm you with unknown terms or fancy military expressions, so although I did not have any experience in that field, I was sucked into the battle, cheering for our heroes and literally devouring the pages.

I can not say I had a favorite character. I was charmed by quirky and mad genius of Colonel Janus, loyal and truthful Captain Marcus and, of course, Winter Ihernglass. But there were a lot of side characters, ordinary soldiers but heroes never-the-less who I also loved. There was a lot of friendship and warm moments amidst the battles that brought smile to my lips. Django Wexler managed to transfer a sense of accomplishment and good teamwork through the pages to me and I found myself unexpectedly cheering for the whole Vordanai army.

As for the fantasy elements: we have imaginary world where two countries fight over one territory. Most of the battles will be won by wit and cunning, not by magic. In fact, magic is not part of everyday life.

"Wizards and demons were something that happened to someone else, in some far-away country, or else deep in the past where they belonged, with the Saints and knights in shining armor."

But, similar to A Game of Thrones, after Django Wexler has made us trust his character's judgement, details and events that can not explained without mentions of magic will start to happen.

And then there will be a big finale that will resolve most of the questions, but still leave you wanting for more. More battles and more from our heroes. And, lucky for me, since The Thousand Names is first part of the series The Shadow Campaigns, my wish for more will be fulfilled. There is no info, title or publication date for the next part of the series but I can be optimistic and hope that we will get more to read next year. :)

In The End...

The Thousand Names is a book that will appeal to both seasoned veterans and newbies to the military fantasy genre. It's full of epic battles, friendship and vast array of characters that you will find hard not to admire, love and cheer for. In a flock of fantasy books that are published this year, this is a gem that should not be missed and I warmly recommend it to all fans of fantasy.

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review.

Source: http://bookwormdream.blogspot.com/2013/07/book-review-thousand-names-by-django.html