bookwormdreams

Bookworm Dreams

Hi, my name is Dragana, and I’m a book-o-holic. My goal in life is to read all the speculative fiction novels in the world. (or at least try)  :)

You can also find me on: Bookworm Dreams Blog

Dark, addictive, can't take my eyes of it (the book not King)

King's: Book 1, The KING Trilogy (Volume 1) - Mimi Jean Pamfiloff

If I was not participating in Kindle Freebies Bingo on Goodreads and this book fit the specified requirements, I probably would not have ever downloaded King’s by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff. The cover and summary scream that this is another clone of Fifty Shades of Grey. But I was intrigued with top genres (Paranormal, Romance, Dark) so I decided to give it a shot.

Mia is narrator in the story. Justin, her brother, disappeared on an archaeological dig in Mexico. After not getting any results from any official ways to find a missing person, desperate Mia goes to a mysterious address. They told her there she will find a man who can find anything, for a price. And the price turns out to be her. And no, you dirty mind, not in THAT way. He wants her life. Or in other words, he wants her to be his personal assistant.

The man in question is King. Ruthless, beautiful, blunt. King demands Mia’s full dedication – no other jobs, no boyfriends, no questions. Complete obedience. In no-nonsense tone, he tells Mia what he exactly wants in exchange for finding her brother. And Mia (of course) over and over again breaks his rules and needs to be punished. And, again, not THAT kind of punishment. Although (as King says) he should have slept with her, because her regret afterwards would have been the best punishment.

And it definitely would not be rape. Because, from the first moment, dark side of Mia is attracted to King. Mostly he pisses her off, but she also feels the sizzle every time she looks at him. A lot of time, I was not sure if the attraction was one-sided and if maybe it was all in Mia’s head. As plot progresses, Mia becomes very unreliable narrator. What are her dreams or hallucinations and what is real? I am still not sure about some scenes, and that’s one of the things that makes me itchy to read the sequel soon.

Another big question is – exactly what kind of paranormal creature is King. He laughs at Mia’s accusations and calls magic fairy tales for children. Nevertheless, all of the events surrounding King definitely can’t be explained rationally. But as King says, if today’s science can’t explain it, does it make it magic?

A lot of mystery in the story makes King’s an addictive read. King’s is one of those books that will leave you confused and unsure what to think – the same as King is messing up with Mia’s mind. I read it so quickly and I am intrigued to find out what happens next. That must mean that story and characters were good, right? Or is it all just in my head?

Recommended if you like urban fantasy with dark characters, ruthless (and handsome) billionaires, heroine with a quick temper, human trafficking theme.
Warning: contains explicit language, violence and near-rape scenes.

Source: http://www.bookwormdreams.com/book-review-kings-by-mimi-jean-pamfiloff